Zach Green Talks Heir

default-featured-image

Producer Zach Green sent along a quick note about his latest film, Heir, which is having its World Premiere at Fantasia this summer. Read on for the ins and outs of what’s to come from the man behind the camera himself!

Heir is a monster movie unlike any other,” says Green. “It is a bleak and fantastical examination of one of society’s darkest taboos that aims to stimulate the mind and wrench the gut with equal power. Heir suggests that victimization through sexual abuse leads to mutation of the psyche, soul, and, in our film, flesh itself. As our film aims to examine the cycle of victimization, it only makes sense to depict the various stages of victimization through a trio of characters:  Father, Son, and the Monster. Just as the Son represents the potential beginning of the cycle, the Monster reflects the dark and twisted ending, and stuck between these two extremes is the Father, who is faced with a choice which may either break or continue the legacy he was unwillingly included in years ago in his own youth. Heir is ultimately about the confrontation with that monster, literally and figuratively, which dwells in Gordon’s mind and compels him to continue the chain of victimization.

Green continues, “This film operates between the worlds of drama and horror and takes equally from both in terms of aesthetics, structure, and style. As much as I’d like the audience to think about what they are seeing, I want them to react viscerally to it as well; and with that in mind we set out to create striking, often grotesque, and extreme imagery which serves its own purpose in addition to reinforcing the overall thesis of Heir. I had originally intended to tell this story as a straight drama with none of the fantastical horror trappings. I thought a realistic version of this story would be more disturbing, truthful, and effective; but as I began to think about what this story really means, I realized the metaphor I would end up employing tells a deeper truth despite the monster makeup and Argento-esque lighting. I realized the truest way to tackle the horrors of child abuse and victimization was to pull away the exterior of the human monsters who walk among us and expose the malignancy within. Any time I’ve been asked to describe Heir, I reply with a simple elevator pitch: ‘They say that anyone who abuses a child is a monster; well, what if they really were monsters?'”

heir-fantasia

About Heir:
FATAL PICTURES, in association with RED SNEAKERS MEDIA, is proud to announce HEIR – a touching tale of father and son from the filmmakers that brought you WORM, FAMILIAR, REMOTE, and THE LAST HALLOWEEN. This practical effects horror short aims to stimulate the mind and wrench the gut with equal power.

Starring Bill Oberst, Jr. (RESOLUTION, CIRCUS OF THE DEAD, TAKE THIS LOLLIPOP), and Robert Nolan (FAMILIAR, BERKSHIRE COUNTRY, SILENT RETREAT); written and directed by Richard Powell (WORM, FAMILIAR); produced by FATAL PICTURES’ Zach Green and Richard Powell (WORM, FAMILIAR) in association with Marc Roussel and Ron Basch from RED SNEAKERS MEDIA (REMOTE, THE LAST HALLOWEEN); associate produced by Seth Metoyer (CELL COUNT, DEADLY REVISIONS, BALLET OF BLOOD) with cinematography by Michael Jari Davidson (SAVE YOURSELF, BERKSHIRE COUNTY & THE LAST HALLOWEEN), special make-up effects by The Butcher Shop (FAMILIAR, THE LAST HALLOWEEN), editing by John Nicholls (SEX AFTER KIDS, THE SWEETEST HIPPOPOTAMUS, THE LAST HALLOWEEN), and music by Christopher Guglick (REMOTE, HOME, THE LAST HALLOWEEN).

Synopsis:
After connecting with a stranger of similar interests online, Gordon and his young son, Paul, embark on an ill-fated road trip in which Gordon aims to indulge a secret passion. Before the day ends, a horrible truth will be uncovered and a harsh lesson will be learned.

Heir

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: